Nayland College - Mathematics
3.8 Time Series HOME | Achievement Objectives | Overview | The Statistics Cycle
Possible Lesson Sequence for AS 3.8 Time series (AS 91580)
1. Overview - predicting the future - posing a question (Achievement Objectives)
For those using EXCEL:
* Be familiar with the Achievement Standard AS3.8 91580 (link to NZQA)
* Check the latest information on the NZQA clarifications page as things change all the time, and the exemplars in NZQA may be out of date (as they are in this standard)
* Look over the NZQA Exemplars on AS 3.8 Time Series
* Material available on the mathstatsfacilitators web site AS3.8 page
* AS 3.8 page at CENSUS at schools site.
* Check the latest comments on the NZmaths forum (login required)
* Any further ideas / suggestions / resources/ comments / errors. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
* AS 3.8 section on Nayland Web site updated: Feb 2015
AS3.8 (91580) Time series involves using Excel to teach concepts of: moving mean, graphing data, smoothed data, seasonal effect, predictions, then...
Using iNZight to do the 'data crunching' and producing graphs
Check out the iNZight tips and tricks page.
Remember: The Focus is on the statistical cycle and the discussion and interpretation of the analysis.
Other Useful Links for AS3.8 Time series AS 91580)
Time Series data sets (2012) Data sets with source and variable info for investigations.
Time Series Data Sets (2013) Data sets to use for investigations.
Economic time series analysis A video about retail sales and building consents.
Teacher Information Video (Digital pathways video about the standard in DRAFT form)